Life is tough. There are so many things that get thrown our way. Sometimes we’re ready for them, and sometimes we’re not.
Personally, some of the hardest moments for me are when I am feeling unsettled and I can’t put my finger on why.
From the outside looking in, my life looks great. I have 4 lovely kids, a husband who loves and supports me, a home, friends, and the ability to enjoy the nicer things in life.
If my life is so great, why am I unhappy?
I’ve found that when I start to get bored and complacent with my life, it’s most often because I’ve stopped focusing on the art of my becoming.
When I succumb to the routines of life, I live on autopilot.
- I start to react to what’s happening in my life instead of making things happen.
- I become frustrated with the responsibilities placed on me instead of realizing that I always have a choice.
- I look outside of myself for entertainment instead of taking the time to figure out what I really want to do.
- I show up in the world with low energy instead of dedicating time to building up my inner light.
I stop showing an interest MYSELF.
I believe I’m here to learn and to grow. To expand my knowledge of the world around me and my place in it – as a woman, as a mother, as a spiritual seeker, as a friend and as a mentor.
If I’m not learning, I’m not living… and I’m not here to take the easy way out.
I believe that my own personal growth is one of the man reasons why I am here. I believe that’s why we are all here – to become better ourselves, so we can make the world a better place.
One way I can do this is by breaking free from my little bubble and learning about other ideas and concepts in the world.
- Spiritual ideas – how do others see the world and how can I see things from a new perspective?
- Artistic techniques – what do I want to learn how to do and how can I learn them?
- Dance styles – how else do I want to challenge my dancing?
- Personal growth – what am I struggling with and how can I improve?
I also need to remember that having fun is part of living a mindful and joyous life. I need to find what delights me. Do I need to…
- Get lost in a good book?
- Take myself on a date?
- Go on a date with my husband?
- Make some art?
- Journal about what I’m feeling now?
Bottom line – when I start to get bored with what I’m doing in my life, I can either complain or do something about it. I choose to take action, and I choose to realign my time and attention to becoming more of ME.
I invite you to ask yourself the following questions when you are looking to spark some joy and curiosity back into your life, and I’ve even included a free journaling page for you to use too.
- What do I want to learn more about?
- How do I want to feel right now?
- When have I experienced these desired feelings?
- How else can I achieve these desired feelings?
- What am I going to do right now to focus on the art of my becoming?
The main goal is to be an active participant in how you spend your days. Figure out how you like to spend your time, what you’re curious about, what you’ve always wanted to try, and how you want to be better in the world.
Remember, your time here is limited, so you may as well spend it enjoying yourself.
P.S. If you’d like to go deeper into your journey of self-discovery, I invite you to join me on a retreat!